Since I started blogging, I've been asked a handful of time to describe my personal style. That should be easy right - it's the premise of this blog and basically all that's on my mind 24/7. So why do I find this question so difficult to answer?
My closet has a large section of neutrals - about 20 white/cream tanks, as well as blouses, sweaters, vests, jackets, you name it. But then I also have a large pastel section, A LOT of pink, tons of stripes, and a growing collection of prints. I like to layer, but I'm most comfortable in simple pieces that show off themselves. I try to only buy things that I could wear on the weekend AND to work, which is sometimes restricting. I like basic silhouettes but I also like interesting shapes. I enjoy trying new trends but only if it feels like "me". Wedged sneakers = NOT me. I tend to splurge more on accessories like handbags, clutches, jewelry, and shoes instead of clothes. But lately, I've been trying to work on buying more and more quality pieces to add to my closet.
Anyway, I stumbled on this interview Refinery 29 did with Whitney Port last August. I've always loved Whitney and her style. She just seems so genuinely nice, right? I love the mix of girly gold and white pieces + bold colors + modern and dark accents in her home. Just proving that it all doesn't have to make perfect sense. It can still come together & be beautiful.
I love how Whitney responded when asked to define her personal style:
"It's a mix of feminine and masculine, print heavy, casual, and textural. When I'm in New York City, it's a little grittier, darker, and chic. When I'm in London, it’s a bit funkier and edgier, and when I'm in L.A. it's more casual and comfortable."

Whitney reminded me that of course your personal style doesn't have to be perfectly clear or defined - it will be constantly evolving & you can dress however you want depending on where you are, how you're feeling, where you're going. But it's nice to have an idea, and it definitely makes shopping easier. So for now, here's what I got:
My style is simple, classic, comfortable, and feminine, but with a bit of edge. I love color and prints, but good quality neutral basics have my heart.
So tell me, how do you define your personal style? Would love to hear! xx




Cute! Love Whitney Port's style too. Good combo of bohemian and glam. X
ReplyDeleteI love Whitney too! I haven't seen or heard much from her lately now that I think about it. I honestly don't even know how to describe my style- that's a good question! And ps- thanks for tweeting my article today :)
ReplyDeleteI kind of forgot about Whitney but I loved her on The City and I love the description of your personal style! I also think defining my personal style is a bit difficult because it definitely changes (at least seasonally for me), but I'd probably say something pretty similar :)
ReplyDeleteelle [wonderfelle world]
That first tunic is gorgeous and I love her clutches!
ReplyDeletexx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes
My 1,000 Follower Giveaway!
I always loved Whitney Port best :) Her style is so flawless and perfectly ecclectic - great feature!
ReplyDeletexx,
Maya
I love this always evolving perspective! That is how I feel about my home style.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of ever-evolving style. Whitney was a great style icon to choose - she is always so classy!
ReplyDeleteIsn’t That Charming.
She really is a great style icon - she never looks like she's trying too hard!
ReplyDeleteStunning blog
ReplyDeletewww.kajalmaharaj.blogspot.com