Wednesday, October 31, 2012
What I'm Craving: Fruit Turnovers
Like Olivia, I am going to start a weekly post of What I'm Craving! It could be food I made or food I HOPE to make. :) My first post is fruit turnovers. A few weeks ago my sister and I found this pie press (picture above) at Target and thought it would be a great addition to our kitchen. It indeed was! (You don't need a pie press to do this!!!! It was a $5 find that makes it easier, but not necessary!) This recipe was included with the pie press.
Click below for the recipe!
What you will need:
- Package of refrigerator pie crust dough
-2 tsp cornstarch
-1/3 cup sugar
-1 cup of any fruit (I made 4 different kinds: bluberry, blueberry & banana, apple, and apple & walnuts)
-1 beaten egg
Instructions:
-Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
-In a small bowl, take 1/3 cup of sugar and add 2 teaspoon of cornstarch; mix together.
-Lay dough out and flatten with a rolling pin.
-With the pie press cut out a 9-inch circle. **Use a bowl.
-Take dough and put it on the crimped-side of the pie press.
-Add about 2 tablespoon of fruit on top of the dough.
-Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar mixture on top of the fruit. (Seems like A LOT...I know, but it helps the fruit bake and become juicy and delicious!)
-Brush edges of dough with beaten egg.
-Use handles to press the pie. **Take one side of the dough and pull it over to touch the other side. Pinch the edges together to tighten the pastry. (Like little fingerprints next to each other)
-Brush each side of turnover with beaten egg.
-Sprinkle sugar mixture on top.
-Cut slits in turnover
-Place turnovers on baking sheet that has parchment paper covering it.
-Bake for 15-20 minutes. Make sure it is light brown on the outside and edges. That way its hard on the outside but soft on the inside. (The BEST part!)
**If you do not have a pie press--do these steps instead. The little mini turnover in the middle in the picture above is an example.
My favorite was the blueberry banana because it had the perfect textures and taste going on! The apple walnut turned out pretty well. I was nervous to see how the walnuts would bake inside. If you choose to use apples I would add cinnamon. No matter what you decide, you can't go wrong...it will be delicious!
It was my first time making these so I took the safe route and used packaged pie crust dough. I am going to try these turnovers again, but with a little twist. Next time I am going to make home made dough and try different fillings like, veggies, cheese, and meat! So stay tuned for turnover round 2! -M
Labels:
recipes,
What I'm Craving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yum, yum, yum...these look delish!
ReplyDeleteAlyssa
The Glossy Life
Cute! You made it look way easy, I'm sure my undomesticated side would find a way to mess it up. x
ReplyDeletechelsie | mossypants.com
Oh my gooosh, that looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween!!
xo Michelle
Fierce & Fashionable
That looks so good! I need to get one of those little pie presses! I think it would encourage me even more to actually bake something ;)
ReplyDeletexx
This post has just me so hungry!!
ReplyDeleteDawn xoxo
http://justmeedee.blogspot.com
I live for crepes. They are so yummy. One time I used dessert crepes (accidentally) to make dinner. It was not so yummy. Maybe if I was a good chef, I could make them from scratch like you!!!
ReplyDeletexoxo Elizabeth
The Now Style Book
mmmmmm these look so tasty
ReplyDeletexoxo Bree
The Urban Umbrella
http://www.theurbanumbrella.com
This looks amazing!!!!
ReplyDeleteXO
Pearls & Paws
I think even I could handle this!
ReplyDeletexx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes